10/11/2023 | Understanding Play Schema Theory
Ever met a child who repeatedly dumped containers of toys, or throw everything they could get their hands on, or loved hanging upside down? These repeated patterns of behavior are examples of play schemas. Understanding these schemas provides insight into why kids do such things. This self-paced on-demand training investigates 11 common play schemas and ways to support them in an early learning setting. It also looks at why a deeper understanding of schemas can improve interactions with children–and learning.
- Learn how a deeper knowledge of play schema theory can improve interactions with children
- Investigate 11 common play schemas
- Explore ways to support schema play in early learning settings
Date, Time & Length
This 60-minute session takes place 10/11/2023 starting at 7:00pm Central Time, USA.
(Eastern 8:00pm | Mountain 6:00pm | Pacific 5:00pm)
Beginner / Intermediate
Competency Areas vary by region. Below are the competency area for this session in different regions with which we work:
- Alabama | Learning Experiences And Enrichment / Child Development
- Illinois | Curriculum Or Program Design
- Michigan | Teaching And Learning
- Missouri | Learning Environment And Curriculum
- Nebraska | Planning Learning Experiences And Curriculum
- Oklahoma | Learning Environments And Curriculum
- South Dakota | Learning Environments
- Wisconsin | Learning Experiences, Strategies, And Curriculum
- CDA | Advancing Children’s Physical And Intellectual Development
Age Group Focus
- Toddlers (12 months to 36 months)
- Preschool (36 months to 5 years)
- School-Age (5 years to 12 years)
- Live sessions take place via the ZOOM meeting platform. After registering, you will receive an email with information about the training.
- All live sessions are recorded so that we can share the if any attendees experience technical problems.
- Learn more about navigating our trainings here.
- Browse our FAQs to learn more about trainings.
- This session is not National Administrator Credential approved
Jeff A Johnson–Jeff is an early learning speaker, podcast host and producer, content creator, author, and founder of Playvolution HQ and Explorations Early Learning. He has 26+ years of experience as a caregiver and has been an early learning trainer since 2000.
- Family Child Care Providers
- Child Care Center Teachers
- Child Care Center Directors
- Head Start Teachers
- Head Start Administrators
- Early Head Start Teachers
- Service Coordination Staff
- Technical Assistance Specialists
- Home Visitors
Based in part on the following books (Affiliate Links):